Friday, June 8, 2012

Tau vs Chaos Daemons

I got in a quick game this evening at Big Kidz Games new location.  It was a 750 pt battle between my Tau and Mikes Chaos Daemons.  The mission was Capture and Control and the deployment was Dawn of war.

Mike won the roll off and chose to go first and thus deployed nothing due to Chaos Daemons wierd deployment method.  I deployed second in what I now believe was an illegal deployment.  I placed 2 teams of firewarriors as my troops and my Ethereal as my HQ.  However then I infiltrated my Kroot which gave me 3 troops on the board before turn one.. I don't think that's legal.  Anyway, mike allowed it, so here's my deployment:

 

Top of Turn one:  Mike failed his deployment role and got the wrong troops ending up with 2 squads of Pink Horrors and one squad of Screamers.  In addition to his failed deployment, the scatter dice suffered some chaotic influence placing his screamers too near my board edge:


Despite his poor deployment the 2 squads of horrors were more than enough to wipe out all 10 kroot in his first round of shooting.  The screamers did nothing.

Bottom of turn one: the remainder of my force came on the board, I placed my commander with shield drone, and my 3 suit crisis suit squad with shield drone all in twin-linked flamer range of the screamers.  I placed the hammer head there as well just in case (good thing).  

When all was said and done I fired everything that could see them (dawn of war) at the screamers before finally taking them out.  In my assault move I moved the suits up and the one whom I moved into terrain failed his roll and took a wound.

Top of turn two:   Chaos failed it's reserve rolls, mike moved his horrors and shot 1 squad at my firewarrors killing 4 models.  The other horrors ran for cover from a nearby hill:

 Bottom of Two:  I shifted the crisis team toward the center, and moved my commander into the terrain for a better line of site to the enemy.  The Hammer head moved twelve too get a shot past the hill at the nearby horrors if the other squad was dead before it's turn to shoot.  

Sure enough, 16 firewarriors, and 6 missles from the crisis suits was enough to wipe out the squad of 7 horrors to my left.  My commander and hammerhead both fired at the squad to the right failing to kill a single model.  My Hammer Heads blast template missed all but one shot this game I think.

Top of Three:  The Chaos Gods see fit to send in 2 Chariot Heralds and a squad of Daemonettes, one herald and the Daemonettes deploy on target left of center and in his half of the board, the other herald scatters onto the first Herald, and Mike rolls a 6 sending it back to reserves.  The pink horrors move up, the daemonettes run and the Chariotte sits there.  

The horrors shoot my commander scoring one wound, I stupidly place it on my drone which fails its save and dies.  My commander roles a 10 for leadership, which he re-rolls thanks to the Ethereal, and gets ANOTHER 10!.. He falls back... 10..

Bottom of Three:  In a move to save my commander, I detach my Ethereal from the firewarriors and move him back 4" out of the ruin so my commander can see him.  I roll for my commander to regroup being at 50% and got a ten.. Good thing I moved my Ethereal, I switched dice and re-rolled my leadership needing a 9 and this time I got a ... TEN!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?!?!  WTF!?!? AHHHhhhh..  He proceeded to fall off the board.  I didn't move my hammerhead. 

Troops all fire at daemonettes killing a few.  Crisis team fires at Horrors with 6 missiles and fail to kill anything.  Hammer head fires a slug at the Herald, hits, wounds, and the herald makes its cover save from the hill blocking it's ankles..  GOD I hope 6th fixes the stupid cover rules.. I move my crisis suits over in front of the firwarriors to keep them from being assaulted and thinking I'll get a chance to use the flamers soon.

Top of turn 4:  Mike gets his other Daemonettes and Herald from reserves. Daemonetts all advance, one squad assaults my first team of firewarriors, the first herald moves runs and charges, the pink horrors move towards his objective. So much for my flamers shooting anything else.  

The firewarrors are wiped out in the assault.  I promptly lose my shield drone to a rending wound and lose the combat but thanks to my Ethereal manage to pass my leadership and stick around.

Bottom of turn 4:  My Hammerhead advances to contest Mikes objective and hopefully redeem itself by killing something.  

The remaining firewarriors gun down all but 2 of the Daemonetts that had wiped out the other squad, would have killed them all but they went to ground.  The Hammerhead misses with its sub-munition almost hitting itself with the scatter.  I take two more rending wounds and lose combat with the Herald, but again stick around.

Top of turn 5:  Pink Horrors move to cover and claim their objective.  Daemonetts who can move, run, then assault the firewarriors and Ethereal.  

The image is just before the assault.  Mike forgets to allocate attacks to the ethereal and thus wipes out 6 firewarrors.  Ethereal kills a deamonette.  Firewarriors lose the combat but are fearless due to the Ethereal so they fight on.  Herald kills 2 suits, the remaining one sticks around.
Bottom of turn 5:  Hammer Head moves over to contest Mikes objective, fires it's sub-munition and kills 2 pink horrors out of 5 (god my dice hate me).. Herald kills the remaining suit and consolidates towards the hammerhead.  Daemonettes kill remaining firewarrors leaving only the Ethereal and his drone to strike back. 

They fail to wound, and with the firewarriors gone they are no longer fearless, the Ethereal fails his leadership at 6, rolls a total of 6 for his init test and dies as the Daemonettes roll a 7.
There is not roll for continuation as Big Kidz closes at 11 on Thursdays and it was already past that as we started at 9.

End Game result:  I have only a hammer head on the board, contesting Mikes objective with nothing to control mine.  Mike has most of his army left minus the screamers and 1 squad of horrors, but the mission is Capture and Control so it is a Draw.



After Battle thoughts:  I took the firewarrors knowing Mike was running daemons and knowing he'd have all invulnerable saves.. But for some reason still wasted points on the Hammerhead thinking I might be able to tank shock with it atleast.  Mikes Whole army was fearless and eternal warriors.. I should have skipped the hammerhead and added 16 more firewarriors.. I also should have placed the Kroot in front of my ruins and my firewarrors.. It wouldn't have mattered if I shoot through them, as mike already got a 4+ invuln on all but the Daemonettes, but it would have let me focus fire better, and maybe they would have survived as mike wouldn't have deep struck so close to them knowing the firepower he'd face on my board side.  All in all, my biggest mistake was rolling my dice, as yet again they failed to roll anywhere near statistically for me, while mike seemed to make every save he took.. Better luck next time I guess.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment